Why you may want to reconsider Xfinity home security


My family recently moved to Denver. We are leasing a house while looking for a place to buy. We moved from Minneapolis, where we had an alarm system from Link Interactive that used alarm.com. I was able to transfer the alarm account to the nice people that bought my house. By taking over the account, Link Interactive was even able to extend the discounted price I had to the new owners. It used 2GIG equipment and I had virtually zero issues in the 5 years I had it. The 2GIG equipment is compatible with Honeywell sensors, so I was able to easily expand the system by adding a ton of sensors.

The house in Denver has an Xfinity Home security system. I spent nearly 4 hours on the phone setting up the security service in my name. When it came time to configure the system, the Xfinity support tech told me that it's impossible to transfer the equipment to another person and I would need to buy all new gear.  Wait.. WHAT??!? To say it again: Can you transfer your Xfinity Home Security system to another owner? According to Xfinity, no you can't.  So they expect you to pry all of the door/window sensors off, take all the cameras down and take it all with you to the next house?? Seriously?

You may want to keep that in mind when you are shopping for a security system. You won't be able to list a security system as a feature when you list your house for sale. If anything, it's a negative.. You'll have to remove it or make your buyers tear it out to put a new system in. As far as I can tell, the sensors are proprietary and only work with Xfinity. I would guess those buyers won't be purchasing an Xfinity system (I know I'm not).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Electronic Drums with Clone Hero

Do you need a preamp for your SM7B with a Behringer Uphoria USB Audio Interface?

Best Laptop Tray for Monitor Arms